How to Apply for MEXT Scholarship 2022 Japanese Scholarship
How to Apply for MEXT Scholarship 2022 through its Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT), seeks to grant scholarships to young students all over the world who are willing to undertake undergraduate studies in Japan. Application Portal for Chevening Scholarship
The aim of the scholarship is to raise human resources that will:
- eventually become “bridges of friendship” between the recipients’ countries and the nation of Japan, and
- contribute immensely to the development of Japan, the recipients’ countries, and the world at large.
The scholarship is tailored for young people (not older than 24 years of age) who have completed their Japanese equivalent of senior high school, or are currently doing their undergraduate studies or are in their preparatory undergraduate education.
The recipients must be willing to first undergo a preparatory education (if they are not already fluent in Japanese) where the Japanese language and basic subjects are taught.
Candidates are free to make up to three choices of course of study in order of their preferences, whether in the Natural Sciences or in the Social Sciences and Humanities.
Organization: MEXT, Japan
Program: Preliminary and Undergraduate studies
Award: Fully funded tuition + 117,000 Yen stipend (over 1060 USD) and 2000 – 3000 Yen regional stipend + Flight ticket to Japan
Application mode: Physically (offline) at the Japan Embassy or Consulate
Eligible country: All countries
Country of study: Japan
Application Deadline: Varies with country
The course of Study: Any course offered by the University
ELIGIBILITY & REQUIREMENTS
- You should not have Japanese citizenship. If you do, you must renounce your Japanese citizenship for the country of your residence upon your arrival in Japan for the program.
- Your date of birth should not be earlier than 2 April 1997 for all applications on April 2022.
- You must have completed 12 years of basic and secondary school in your country of residence. In addition, you must have completed the Japanese equivalence of senior secondary school in your country.
- You must demonstrate proficiency in Japanese, as that is the language of instruction. For this reason, candidates will first undergo one year of preparatory education at the Tokyo University of Foreign Studies.
- You must present a medical statement of your health status from a professional physician.
- Your admission into the undergraduate program is consequent upon:
- You’re passing the preparatory education examination at the end of the one-year teaching.
- You are passing an entrance examination into the University of your undergraduate studies.
Failure in either of the above examinations terminates the scholarship, and you will be sent back to your country.
- MEXT will pay for only your direct flight (economy class) from your country of residence to Japan.
HOW TO APPLY
- Read and understand the guidelines.
- Print the following documents (below post) and fill them appropriately
- Submit the documents to the Japan Embassy or the Consulate General in your country.
Note: You should neither submit your application to MEXT nor make direct contact with them. All applications should be through the embassy.
Click here to find the address of the Japanese embassy in your country.
Click the links below to download the required documents and begin your application.
Ensure to read and fully understand the application guidelines.
If you are already proficient in the Japanese language and wish to go straightway into your undergraduate program without the preparatory education, click here for the direct undergraduate placement form.
Prepare yourself for the exams by using the past examination questions.